Photobucket

600km Walking Pilgrimage through Spain

Written by Denise Chng Lisan & published on September 2 2008

From the moment I discovered an ancient pilgrimage path in Spain in June last year, the attraction of walking hundreds of kilometres towards an assured destination grew on me daily. My eagerness to go on a month-long journey on foot across the steep slopes, lush valleys and forests of the Pyrenees, and through countless small towns and villages, was part of a subconscious quest to find depth and meaning in my life. At the age of 33, I was approaching – prematurely, perhaps – what seemed to be a mid-life crisis.

Straits Times Life! Article,Denise Chng Lisan,Camino de Santiago,Camino Frances

Letter from Quebec: Preserving Heritage

Written by Denise Chng Lisan & published on November 8 2008

'TRAVEL is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living,' wrote Miriam Beard. Life in Quebec is now my teacher, pointing out my knowledge gaps and honing my ideas of living - be it language, culture, life-skills, or the environment.

Denise Chng Lisan

Benedictine Monastary

Posted by Denise CHNG Lisan On Saturday, October 06, 2007
On the 3rd of October, I stayed over in a Benedictine Monastary in Sahagun. It was really peaceful and quiet with only four pilgrims. The hospiterelos were really kind, illuminating the spirit of God. In the morning, I wake up to the chants.....what a way to wake up.

I was also very lucky that I made it to a Pilgrim´s mass in the church next door. The simple church exterior was an understatement to the most beautiful and elaborate alter I´ve every seen. It took my breathe away. Covered in gold with exquisite carvings, I had my eyes feasting on every angel around little Jesus on the cross.

The prayers and chants were sung by religious sisters. One of them slowly walked over to me to hand me a book of prayer. I was touched, even though I don´t understand a word of Spanish. At the end of the chants and songs, the priest called for the pilgrims forward to bless us. I don´t understand what he said. But by his gestures, I know it was something about the spirit, the heaven, our footsteps and energy of the earth. I wondered a lot about what he really said afterwards.



It was a blessed experience. I am now in Leon, a much bigger town with a huge magnificent cathedral. There´s a pilgrim prayer service in an hour and half, which I´m looking forward to attend.


"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius power and magic in it." - Goethe

1 Response to 'Benedictine Monastary'

  1. Anonymous Said,
    http://denise-camino.blogspot.com/2007/10/benedictine-monastary.html?showComment=1191810840000#c6831036365118418991'> 7 October 2007 at 19:34

    Very BEAUTIFUL !!!

    Herman

     

    Ave Maria - Lourdes, France
    IN MEMORY OF MY MOTHER

    Blog Archive