Photobucket

600km Walking Pilgrimage through Spain

Written by Denise Chng Lisan & published on September 2 2008

From the moment I discovered an ancient pilgrimage path in Spain in June last year, the attraction of walking hundreds of kilometres towards an assured destination grew on me daily. My eagerness to go on a month-long journey on foot across the steep slopes, lush valleys and forests of the Pyrenees, and through countless small towns and villages, was part of a subconscious quest to find depth and meaning in my life. At the age of 33, I was approaching – prematurely, perhaps – what seemed to be a mid-life crisis.

Straits Times Life! Article,Denise Chng Lisan,Camino de Santiago,Camino Frances

Letter from Quebec: Preserving Heritage

Written by Denise Chng Lisan & published on November 8 2008

'TRAVEL is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living,' wrote Miriam Beard. Life in Quebec is now my teacher, pointing out my knowledge gaps and honing my ideas of living - be it language, culture, life-skills, or the environment.

Denise Chng Lisan

Yellow Arrow No.5: Silence

Posted by Denise CHNG Lisan On Sunday, March 01, 2009
Silence, to me, is the best antidote to the mess inside of us and outside of us. We are so conditioned to live in a complex world, that we forget what it means to be simple. There are so many things pulling us away from what is truly important to us within. We often get side-tracked and distracted. The hardest thing that we can do, which is also the simplest thing, is to be silent.
Yet, we are in such need of this gift.

Meditation is a form of practice that brings us to the core of our heart and our spirit. It is a discipline that demands us to commit every day to one or two periods of silence. It is such a hard discipline to build for me, but meditation has become my anchor and my altar in times of trouble. When I have enough courage to sit down and meet my inner demons, I am often met with an opening of the heart to receive the spirit of goodness.


Yes, i say courage, because silence is scary. In the silence, we meet all kinds of thoughts within that surface. Some of these thoughts we may not yet be prepared to face. This is the reason that explains why so many of us prefer to work ourselves around a busy schedule - to avoid being simple and quiet.

This video is an interview I had with Fr Laurence Freeman, who is the spiritual director of World Community for Christian Meditation. This interview, where I shared my perspective meditation, was conducted slightly more than a year ago...




1 Response to 'Yellow Arrow No.5: Silence'

  1. Roderick Chia Said,
    http://denise-camino.blogspot.com/2009/03/yellow-arrow-no5-silence.html?showComment=1260274226443#c9099190867995031279'> 8 December 2009 at 04:10

    I really enjoy this interview. Not sure when was this taken, but you thought seems to be very much matured. Happy to see you appreciate the paradox of letting go achieve more ;-)

     

    Ave Maria - Lourdes, France
    IN MEMORY OF MY MOTHER

    Blog Archive